National Fish Passage Strategy
Finland’s National Fish Passage Strategy aims to enhance the viability of threatened and endangered migratory fish stocks. Its mission is to shift the focus from fish stocking to supporting and rehabilitating the natural reproductive cycle.
Responsibility for the detailed objectives and measures is divided among various bodies and collaboration partners from different fields:
- ensuring the multi-objective prioritisation and assessment of fish passage projects
- increasing cooperation and arranging funding
- focusing the management obligation on supporting a natural life cycle
- taking the passage and breeding of fish into account in developing regulation practices
- developing fishing regulation to ensure the passage of fish
- increasing research and monitoring activities
- implementing other measures to rehabilitate and protect migratory fish stocks.
Read more: Fish passage strategy