Hunting card and game management fee

To be allowed to acquire a hunting card, all hunters must complete a hunting examination. The hunting card can be acquired by paying a game management fee to the State. Hunting examinations are organised by game management associations. Hunters must carry their hunting card or a copy of the card when hunting.

The purpose of the hunting examination is to ensure that hunters are familiar with the principles of hunting and game management and hunting provisions. The examination is a written test. In addition to theoretical knowledge, hunters must know how to shoot. Before acquiring their own gun, a hunter must apply for a permit for possessing a firearm from the police.

Hunting for moose, fallow deer, red deer, sika deer, roe deer, white-tailed deer, forest reindeer or bear requires passing a shooting test. No shooting test is required for hunting other game animals. Shooting tests are organised by game management associations.